LlamaLAN 9 Games

22nd - 24th February 2008. Be there or be bored!
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

LlamaLAN 9 Games

Post by CyberDrac »

For anyone wanting more information or to discuss aspects of the games selection ... here is your chance.

Friday - Half Life 2 Team Death Match - 4 Way League

Saturday - Armagetron Advanced - 4 Way Game
Saturday - Team Fortress 2 - 4 Way League
Saturday - Unreal Tournament 2004 - 1v1 Double Elimination

Sunday - Warsow - all v all

CD
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

For anyone wanting an insight into the games selections ...
  • Team Fortress 2 - 20 (6/5/6/3)
  • Unreal Tournament 2004 - 15 (6/5/3/1)
  • Battlefield 2 - 14 (2/2/7/3)
  • Half Life 2 Team DM - 13 (4/4/3/2)
  • Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare - 12 (4/4/2/2)
  • Battlefield 1942 - 12 (6/2/3/1)
  • Counter Strike: Source - 12 (3/2/5/2)
  • Armagetron Advanced - 12 (3/3/5/1)
  • Dawn of War - 10 (1/3/4/2)
  • Battlefield 2142 - 10 (2/5/3/)
The above is the status of the games list as of today. Of course "Team Fortress 2" was confirmed quite a while back, and has been a running theme for the entire LAN, especially through the posters, and so it's selection should be no surprise to anyone.

It's always nice to give individuals a chance to excel, and when we looked at the list "Unreal Tournament 2004" was an equally obvious choice, with the chance of a 16 way competition it was irresistible.

Next most obvious choice might have been "Battlefield 2" with 14 votes it looked like a shoe in for the next slot, but closer inspection of the votes revealed a huge imbalance in the teams, and whilst as red team leader I would have loved 7v2 BF2 games it was not to be.

So we looked to our old favourite "Half Life 2 Team Death Match", what could be more fun than toilet flinging for a couple of hours? With slightly fewer votes but more even teams this proved to be another piece in our puzzle.

LlamaLANs are also about doing something a little more varied, and so we started to look for something a 'little different' and just a few places further down the list we found "Armagetron Advanced" a very simple, but hugely fun game and due to it being free is a great idea for people to get dragged in for half an hour of some frantic fun to get the reflexes zapping.

This left us with something for the Sunday, for the survivors. Now for this we unapologetically left the games list behind and just thought, what Sunday needs is mindless violence and twitch gaming, but how to we get it to the masses? By using another free game "Warsow" to satisfy the blood lust.

I am sure that there will be games of many sorts being played, I personally look forward a 12 way CoD4 match at some point to fill the gaps in the weekends schedule, every game will have it's time, but these are the games we have chosen, and the reasons why, so get practising and let your team leaders know what you'll be playing in.

CD
Fatman
Cria
Cria

Post by Fatman »

Some excellent choices i must add. There is something that caters for everyone there.

I for one most likely wont have COD4 , but i shall lead my team to an immense victory in the HL2DM tourny :P

If i can get it all set up i will also try and get everyone into a CS:S Gungame Mod match as its nice and fast paced, and a hell of a laugh to play, plus i have some awesome maps.

See you all in the tournys :D
Merrrr
Onionstar
Cria
Cria

Post by Onionstar »

Hi,

Anyone thinking 'crap, I've got to buy some of these games now' might want to take a look at http://shopping.bit-tech.net/UK/category/p/177/PC/ they seem to do a pretty good job of finding the cheapest prices for all these games. ASDA for instance have the Orange Box at £17.93 which a lot less than the £35 our local gamestation are selling it at.

/|/ ik
Wufflez
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wufflez »

I have TF2, in fact I have everything in the orange box, so I can do HL2 Team DM, TF2 and of course CS:S.

I have just downloaded Armagetron Advanced, and shall have it ready to go for LL9.

I don't really fancy CoD4 that much tbh, I'm pretty burned out on FPS games. Having said that though, I shall be getting it for i33, so I may as well have it for LL9 too right?

Only getting it for i33 as the group I'm going with will be playing it. So I shall have that in a couple of days or so.

I could pick up UT2004 at the same time.

Erm, I haven't been able to sort out my games list in my profile, and I wasn't able to send my list to CD until today (PMing him it directly after this posting) as I've been busy =S.

Hopefully this won't affect the event much.
All your strokes are belong to Wuff.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Wufflez wrote:I have TF2, in fact I have everything in the orange box, so I can do HL2 Team DM, TF2 and of course CS:S.
So that is two out of the 5 organised games sorted
Wufflez wrote:I have just downloaded Armagetron Advanced, and shall have it ready to go for LL9.
Excellent ... ticks number 3
Wufflez wrote:I don't really fancy CoD4 that much tbh, I'm pretty burned out on FPS games. Having said that though, I shall be getting it for i33, so I may as well have it for LL9 too right?
Only getting it for i33 as the group I'm going with will be playing it. So I shall have that in a couple of days or so.
That's one way of looking at it, I personally felt the same as you, what changed me was the single player demo which seriously dragged me into the story line, I've never had a game where I just went into the control panel, whacked everything up to max, and it 'just worked', the story line in the full version is enthralling, easily the most heart rending and traumatic I've ever experienced (no spoilers, but there is one point where there is a plot twist I've never seen used before). The online play is fun, nothing incredibly new, but certainly better than average.
Wufflez wrote:I could pick up UT2004 at the same time.
As far as I am concerned this is an essential in the armoury of ANY PC gamer, although UT3 has revitalised the series, UT2004 is still immensely playable.
Wufflez wrote:Erm, I haven't been able to sort out my games list in my profile, and I wasn't able to send my list to CD until today (PMing him it directly after this posting) as I've been busy =S.
Eagerly anticipating your PM
Wufflez wrote:Hopefully this won't affect the event much.
Most of the decisions are already made, but it does help your team leader to know who they can rely on to play in the big games.
evilgangsta
Yearling
Yearling

Post by evilgangsta »

Tis a real shame there is not a COD4 tourney as you say it is a fantastic game but ho hum.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

It was a very close run thing indeed, but a single vote and the distribution of the votes was all it takes ... even the offer of free beer couldn't persuade people to join the cause ... better luck with the Summer LAN, LlamaLAN 10, if you start your campaign now you're in with a good chance. :D

CD
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

i will do, any chance i can have a dedicated sticky for me........ for LL10.....
Lans Attended: LL9, i33, i34, LL10, i35, i36, LL11

Lans Planning to Attended = i37, LL12

http://www.chris-mccafferty.info

Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad
Location: Flag Room (Well most of meh, some landed on the ramp though)

Post by Kanonfodda »

I'm sure we can manage something ;)
If it bleeds, we can fry it :0D
Dragon
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Dragon »

Is there some form of net connection on the lan, ie, will steam authenticate ok, or does it all need to be setup for offline mode?
Autarkus
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Autarkus »

There's no 'net connection, although I did see someone using a 3g phone a couple of times ago to get online, but the short answer is everything needs to be ready, in offline mode.
Powerfull big rats, Gentelmen
Dragon
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Dragon »

Fair enough, just checking so know situation beforehand.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

One of our last mailers before the event will be reminding people of little things like that, although it's nice that Steam now has a much easier way of doing it than previously.

CD
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

no internet connection, not even a little one?
Lans Attended: LL9, i33, i34, LL10, i35, i36, LL11

Lans Planning to Attended = i37, LL12

http://www.chris-mccafferty.info