Admins in Tournaments

22nd - 24th February 2008. Be there or be bored!

Should Admins take part in Sponsored prize winning tournaments

Poll ended at Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:32 pm

Yes
44%
No
11%
Yes, but they can't win the prize
44%

Total votes: 9

Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad
Location: Flag Room (Well most of meh, some landed on the ramp though)

Admins in Tournaments

Post by Kanonfodda »

right, Myself and the other admins have been having a discussion around Admins taking part in Prize winning tournaments.

The view points:
  • Admins should not take part in Sponsor provided prize winning tournaments as this could be seen to be removing the chance for participants to win prizes
  • Admins pay, so should therefore be able to play in any tournament at the LAN.
  • Admins should be able to play in the tournament, but not win the prize.
Reasons for each argument:

I don't think it is right for the admins to take a prize supplied by a sponsor. I feel this is insulting to the sponsor and also insulting to the attendees. Equally, taking part but not being able to claim the prize causes other issues. If the prize then goes to whoever the admin faces in the final, then others in the tournament who faced the admin and lost could feel they were treated unfairly.

I know CD and Golem have other views on this as well, so I shall let them put in their opinions too.
If it bleeds, we can fry it :0D
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

Initially I wasn't sure. Now I think admins playing is okay because all we do is organise the events. We're still players.
  • There is no judging involved in deciding winners (only our own unique ownz0ring abilities)
  • Every player is a paying attendee and hence has the right to take part in tournaments with or without prizes. Even the llamaLAN crew have to pay to attend.
  • The admins may shortlist the games and ultimately decide what game is played in prize-winning tournaments, but these decisions are based on the combined desire of all attendees through the game selection in our profiles. There are exceptions of course, such as the Far Cry tournament last year in line with the Hawaiian theme. None of us had any prior Far Cry deathmatch experience though and we know how that tourny turned out. :)
As an admin, I'm not going to cast my own vote in this poll cos I want to see how the majority of community feel. :)
Pru
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Pru »

I voted yes but they cant win the prize. Ive seen it at other lans where the admins will play but if they win just give the prize the the runner up. I do have one request though... if this happens and i play an admin... let me get 1 kill before i get owned and lose :P
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

personally i am stuck between the admins winning and getting the prizes or admins taking part but can't win a prize..

admins have to pay to come so they should be like normal gamers but yet again it is unfair if a admin won the tournment, it weird but personally i am planning to kick all your asses so no need to worry lol :P
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

I'm honestly not flaming, not trying to subvert your point of view or anything D3th, but for the purposes of this thread I'm probably not the only one who'd want to know - can you quantify why it could be said that it isn't fair a member of the admin team could win a tournament? Thanks. :)
D3TH
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by D3TH »

well 50% of me thinks that it could be disrespectful to other gamers, i would be like a police officer can't break to law because he is a police officer in some sort of way, hell flame down my posts and i just realized that the "police idea" is actually against my argument dam.. but it is for my over one saying admins should be able to win prizes...

i just think that admins just shouldn't be able to win, yes take part in the tourny.. but like i said please flame all ya want lol :P:P
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

D3TH wrote:i just think that admins just shouldn't be able to win, yes take part in the tourny.. but like i said please flame all ya want lol :P:P
Just to clarify, is your objection to the admins ...

a) winning individual matches
b) winning the overall tournament
c) winning the tournament and allowing the highest placed non-admin to take home the sponsor's prizes
d) winning the tournament and taking home the sponsor's prizes themselves

... or some other combination I haven't heard of?

CD
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Kanonfodda »

or all of them ;)
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

People have used phrases like 'disprespectful to other gamers' and 'insulting to the attendees', but I can't see how that would happen unless it is being suggested that admins have an advantage in some form either fair or unfair, which, unless someone can point a particular example out I can't see.

It is a competition ... people get beaten ... if someone gets beaten then they don't progress to the chance to win a prize. If someone is beaten by an admin, or as I like to call them "fully paid up participants who run these events as much for their own enjoyment as for others" then they've been beaten by a better or luckier player. If we stop people being beaten by better or luckier players then it is no longer a tournament and we might as well cut up the prize into equal pieces to share amongst everyone who would have played.

We've proposed a concession where the best player gets the title and the best non-admin gets the prize.

Another option I can see is running it as a league instead of as an elimination, however the time needed to run that is huge and an admin could equally win that as well.

The last option is to have a raffle, everyone puts their ID badges into a box and a name gets pulled out and that person gets the prize, unfortunately again an admin could win that.

CD
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Kanonfodda »

Just to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons ;)

an employee of kellogs can't take part in any of their competitions, but still has to pay to eat the cereal ;)

It is a perception that those running the tournament have inside information about the tournament. Whilst participation would be fair and no one would cheat, there is a perception that this just isn't right.

Some people feel that way, some don't :)

You all know my opinion, we seem to have a reasonable spread of others here to :)

It's a discussion forum, discuss :)
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

Annnnnd just to cap off my own perspective and throw in further foods for thoughts, the key that changed my mind is that, unlike most of these competitions where staff cannot take part (such as those found on cereal boxes), there is no judging involved and the process of elimination is extremely transparent.

Just to ensure everyone here has the full picture, Crucial do not mind LAN organisers winning sponsored prizes - not that this should override everyone else's opinion of course.

I'm all done now. ;)
Fatman
Cria
Cria

Post by Fatman »

Spanner>Works

If and admin gets to the final and wins then 2nd and 3rd place playoff for the prize?
Merrrr