SoS! Stranded without vehicle!

October 28th - 30th 2011
MikeyTWolf
Cria
Cria

SoS! Stranded without vehicle!

Post by MikeyTWolf »

Well not entirely, I could get a coach down the day before and rent a place overnight in a nearby hotel within cab distance (Golem's been working on that, waiting to hear from him) but I'm wondering if there's perhaps anyone from the northwest of england or Scotland who may be able to drop by and carpool me?

I know the problem with car journies is you'd have to head off about 6 AM or something (from where I am anyway) to get there on time, so if you are further north I pity your sleep deprivation. :P

Of course, any help dragging the costs down would be a help. At the moment if I can't prove I could even get there a few weeks in advance it seems my parents won't even let me go. Apparently two suitcases (one that takes up the tower alone) and moving something not designed to be moved is pure insanity and beyond my physical capabilities.

At the moment it's something like this:

27th, go down in a coach, 7 hour journey, approx £50.
Rent a overnight room to sleep in. (unknown price)
28th, Get a taxi, approx £10
Sleep at LL, £0
30th, get a coach back home. approx £50.
[KTFO]i-LiMiT-i
Yearling
Yearling

Re: SoS! Stranded without vehicle!

Post by [KTFO]i-LiMiT-i »

hmm, how about this? http://www.rideshare.co.uk/
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

Someone may offer a bed/sofa for the night locally ... I have space in my cellar with a sofa bed type thing (pending a discussion with the missus since she has the final say), but I do have a screaming one year old in the house so it may not be ideal ... but somone else may have a better offer
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

Some ideas here you should consider Mr Wolf. Here's the two closest hotels that I know of to the scout hut:

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/ ... oteldetail
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... gland.html

Holiday Inn is the cheaper option.
MikeyTWolf
Cria
Cria

Post by MikeyTWolf »

I figure drac's offer may be the best at the moment. Don't mind anything as long as it's free, I won't be able to sleep that night anyway. :D

Of course I'd have to be on the lookout for any sabotage attempts, being on another team. :O

Anyway, know of anyone else in the area who might help?

Also, do you drive drac? Might save me some money, as the alternative would be to hire a cab, and they're normally pretty expensive, even for a 10 min drive. D:

Oh, PS. I'll be with two large suitcases to store my PC in, so unless you got a big car, or don't mind two trips... eep D:
MikeyTWolf
Cria
Cria

Post by MikeyTWolf »

Ah, crap.

Right, looks like I can get a coach down to London Victoria Station easily...

Now the problem is that it's impossible to get to Chatham from London... One journey planner site even claimed Chatham doesn't exist! Great.

Don't suppose someone might come pick me up? Of course, smack bang middle of london, congestion charge and an hour drive from the LAN doesn't sound very fun. :/

Need more help, any advice?

Can't take the train remember, because I'll be lugging two suitcases around.
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad
Location: Flag Room (Well most of meh, some landed on the ramp though)

Post by Kanonfodda »

There are at least 2 trains an hour from Victoria to London (Ramsgate and dover priory trains) takes about an hour, then someone can pick you up from Chatham:

have a look at http://www.trainline.co.uk
If it bleeds, we can fry it :0D
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

You can also use my favourite :)

http://www.transportdirect.co.uk

You can do big suitcases on an overground train without hassle, it's the underground that would utterly suck. :D But fortunately there are journeys with no changes whatsoever - direct from Vic to Chatham, 50 minutes!
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

The offer still stands ... as long as you can get to somewhere in the Medway area, preferably Gillingham although depending on arrival times other options are equally easy.
MikeyTWolf
Cria
Cria

Post by MikeyTWolf »

CyberDrac wrote:The offer still stands ... as long as you can get to somewhere in the Medway area, preferably Gillingham although depending on arrival times other options are equally easy.
Brilliant. Save me like £70. :D

I'd be going by the train. Was going to Chatham station but if I hold on one stop it looks like I'll be right in the middle of Gillingham if that's better.

Also, Imma need a phone number, prob one from the LAN and one from you cos my Dad's getting all constantly aggressive about how it'll all go wrong and I'm an idiot. :/

Also, he bevelies the Internet is a land of make belief filled with fake things such as yourselves. So, guess that explains it.

Once I got the phone numbers down I should have everything to make him shut up though.

Oh, and I also need a solid yes/no answer to whether or not you may possess any kind of locomotive slash automobile. Reasonable logic would dictate the answer to be yes, but still need written in digital ink confirmation for protective parents. :P
[KTFO]i-LiMiT-i
Yearling
Yearling

Post by [KTFO]i-LiMiT-i »

haha my parents are the same mate, dont worry, but...i live 10 mins from the venue xD so they dont really have a say, they just leave me to it when its local
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

I will be working on that Thursday until 3.30pm with a 20 minute drive home, Natalie would have come off a night shift that morning and so would be around during the latter half of the day, I have a car, Gillingham station is about 15 minutes stroll down to my house. Depending on arrival times we'll have to work out the best plan of action. Crash out in the cellar, and then an early start to load the car and drive to the LAN.
MikeyTWolf
Cria
Cria

Post by MikeyTWolf »

CyberDrac wrote:I will be working on that Thursday until 3.30pm with a 20 minute drive home, Natalie would have come off a night shift that morning and so would be around during the latter half of the day, I have a car, Gillingham station is about 15 minutes stroll down to my house. Depending on arrival times we'll have to work out the best plan of action. Crash out in the cellar, and then an early start to load the car and drive to the LAN.
Excellent.

Now I'll have you know that there's a 5 and a half hour drive starting on thursday. Probably starting past 10 in the morning, then a 1 hour train to Chatham, add maybe another five min on that for gillingham?

Leaving time to change since I'm booking in advance, I will probably arrive no earlier than 10 in the evening, so no worries mate. :3

Still need to grab a phone number off you and I'm all sorted. Thanks a lot for helping me with my week and a half late birthday present. :D