General Questions

April 15th - 18th 2011
Danny
Cria
Cria

General Questions

Post by Danny »

Hey!
Me and my girlfriend are going to find ourselves in kent for a week in april, we where googling around for lan partys and just so happened to come accross this one; right when we are going to be in the area it is hosted.

We shall be in high halden, but anyway, I've lost my chain of thought.

I had some general questions before we commited to buying tickets, that where not awnsered in any FAQ on the site.

1> is the network we are using ethernet or wifi? I can throw in an ethernet card into my computer if required, but it'd be nice to be warned in advance. and if it is ethernet do i need to bring an ethernet cable with me?
2> Does the ticket cover all 3 days? Is it sent to me, or is it like a guest list sort of thing?
3> We've never been to a lan party before, are you guys all super awesome and friendly? :D
4> Can we suggest games or is it a set thing? For example I'd really like to get some Starcraft 2 going. or do we just like turn up and see what happens? or is there a set order games are played in?
5> I don't own all of the games on the list, but i do own quite a few of them, is this a problem; will i be sat bored while you're all off playing U2K4 ? :P

Thanks.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Re: General Questions

Post by CyberDrac »

Hiya, and welcome ...

1. We use a wired network to achieve the best performance, it would help greatly if you did bring a cable, but we do have spares if you forget
2. One price for the whole event, there are no tickets, you just turn up and identify yourself to the nearest responsible adult ... or the nearest member of staff if that fails ;)
3. We have a superb reputation as one of the more welcoming and generally sociable LANs don't worry about that ... there will be the usual banter but we expect to receive as much in return
4. In your profile you can indicate what games you have installed and the staff take that into account when choosing games for the big games and tournaments, but there is nothing to stop you playing anything else at any other time just put a shout out and see if anyone is interested
5. I can't guarantee that you can amuse yourself but there will always people talking, eating, and playing other stuff. We choose the older games because of the likelihood that people own them and their ubercheapness if you don't own them yet and feel like joining in.
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

Danny wrote:will i be sat bored while you're all off playing U2K4 ? :P
If all else fails, one word remains. ProjectorGames. :mrgreen:
chrisakira
Blue Squad
Blue Squad

Post by chrisakira »

hey danny, this is gonna be my first lan event ever, let alone with the llama's, so i too am hoping these guys will break me in gently ;). but dont feel like everyone else is gonna know each other as im going in blind lol.

having talked to people on the facebook group i've gone and picked up trackmania nations forever, which is completely free and i've been told will more than likely be played, mainly due to its free-ness lol. have only played it a little bit but its as cool as the old TM games, and is COMPLETELY FREE, so deffo worth a look.
have also picked up left 4 dead 2 through Steam, which unfortunately isnt free, but is only £15 for the game and ALL DLC type maps and stuff so very good price, and having looked at the LL steam group is the most played game across all players lol. so again i imagine this one will show up somewhere in the weekend =D.

other than that im winging it the whole way, got theusuals like Counterstrike source and HL2 DM but will see what else is recommended nearer the time.

hope that helps a bit, and im glad i'm not gonna be the only newbie here lol

Chris
http://www.gamefanshop.com/partner-ChrisAkira/

Check out the Game Fan Shop for awesome deals on great games, and help support my http://www.twitch.tv/chrisakira channel =D
Sykodelika
Blue Squad
Blue Squad

Post by Sykodelika »

First time I did LlamaLAN I was terrified due to my noobishness and shyness but everyone is great! All the team leaders are lovely lovely people (apart from that silly cow on blue, god knows why they let her sort in) and will help you as much as they can.

Also seconding the vote of awesomeness for projector games :mrgreen:

Jen
I'm awake and dressed, what more do you want?
Sykodelika
Blue Squad
Blue Squad

Post by Sykodelika »

also answering number 5 - Its like being at a weird quiet(ish) party, theres always something going on :D Either on the stage, outside by the grass or in the kitchen, where you will sometimes find a few of us talking about stuff so morally dubious it would make a squaddie blush :angel:

Also I will probably be running a tuckshop (IF everyone replies to the bloody thread!) so you can throw your hard earned pennies at me for cheap munchy bits!

And to Chrisakira...break you in? Yes...we'll do that *evilcackle*

Jen
I'm awake and dressed, what more do you want?
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad
Location: Flag Room (Well most of meh, some landed on the ramp though)

Post by Kanonfodda »

Welcome Danny and co :)

you will find us all to be a pretty likeable bunch, it's very rare that people don't enjoy a LlamaLAN, so come along and don't forget the beer for the admin ;)
If it bleeds, we can fry it :0D
YaZoR
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by YaZoR »

Welcome!!!

Get yourselves paid up and seated, you won't regret it.
Always been great fun, and I guarantee you will find opponents/comrades for just about any game, any time.

Enjoy.
meh
Bryaugh
Cria
Cria

Post by Bryaugh »

Thanks for your help guys :) One more question..... will there be Castle Crashers? Or would you like us to bring it?
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Kanonfodda »

I have no idea what castle crashers is, but if it is anything like the name suggests, bring it! ;)
Bryaugh
Cria
Cria

Post by Bryaugh »

Kanonfodda wrote:I have no idea what castle crashers is, but if it is anything like the name suggests, bring it! ;)
D: ... YOU MUST BE EDUCATED. Look it up, it is sheer awesome :)
Danny
Cria
Cria

Post by Danny »

Bryaugh wrote:Thanks for your help guys :) One more question..... will there be Castle Crashers? Or would you like us to bring it?
This is naturally my girlfriend, incase anyone wondered.

Anyway; List of potential games to add to the list that i cannot currently add to my profile, in order of care (most care at the top of the list):
Starcraft 2
Castle Crashers
Minecraft
C&C Red Alert 3
Black & White
Civ 4
Shattered Horizon

Bad You not knowing what castle crashers is. heres a link to a youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsLHvg93bX4

Despite what that awfull video suggests, castle crashers is a 4 player game.
Kanonfodda
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by Kanonfodda »

you should be able to add the games now :)
Danny
Cria
Cria

Post by Danny »

Kanonfodda wrote:you should be able to add the games now :)
Sweet dude, thanks.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

I might consider getting Shattered Horizon next time they do a special deal on Steam ... It's an interesting twist on a standard FPS