FUCK NO
63%

Total votes: 8

Haste
Weanling
Weanling

Re: Upgrade before Lan?

Post by Haste »

You're CPU isn't that old, It's newer than mine, and has double the cores! It supports x86_64 extensions, so upgrading to any 64-bit OS you may notice performance improvements, but only in software/games optimised for 64-bit. UT2k4 makes no performance difference on mine weather in 32 or 64 bit, but FarCry does. Though Epic aren't the best programmers. :wink:

I know exactly what you mean, But seriously do you use those 'Gigs' every single day? I doubt it. I recently reinstalled, and rather than reinstall everything I use, I just install what I need when I need it. It's keeps my system clobber free for longer. I still haven't got round to installing Office cause I haven't needed to use it yet.

Well i know alot of people who have alot more Cores :) new i7's for exmaple, look dead amazing, although with my knowledge i wouldnt be bale to use them to their fullest, i only now a few terms with comps and building my own 2 years ago was a feet (spelling mistake i think) what is my gpu? is it my motherboard, sorry ive completly forgot, also alot more games these days will come out with more eye candy, so having x64 will help, also the ram might do some good in limiting but whats wrong with me

Yes i completly agree only using the gigs i need when i need them, if it only was that simple, i keep these gigs cause when i want them i can have them, if they arnt installed and all my community want to jump on warcraft 3 for some fun, then get bored and want to go on a game they havent played for a few months, exmaple Gta samp, i havent played that in fucking ages, but at any moment if we got bored, i could just play it, if it wasnt there, i would want to play it but couldnt.....install...patch...download.....get server..... so on and so forth, and imagine doing that with wow....... god i dont even want to.

Thanks for the headphones, even though the ones you linked look a bit more pricey, reveiws are better and the others are cheaper, but aprently the vibration is annoying and can cause distortion over long use.... not sure if that happends for you guys however i dont want to play my cards and get them wrong, even though thats part of life tbh.

Thanks all and espically you Yazor, i will deff catch up with you at lan and then find out whats best for me to do.

~Haste
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

Kanonfodda wrote:First up, I agree with CD, DO NOT ASK GOLEM FOR OVERCLOCKING ADVICE ;)
First of all, ignore these naysayers. They say this only because it's tradition. ;)

I have no problems with the games I run and I've run Crysis on this rig, so I suspect you don't need to upgrade yet. Admittedly at 1440 x 900, but on ultra detail etc. and I have a Q6600, one of the older Intel quads. I suspect this is the same if not older than yours. I have got two 8800 GTS 512 mb cards, and they're both compatible with Windows 7. ;) (Not that I've installed 7, but I know they're fine with it. They should be, it's a bleedin' OS. It's job is to OPERATE MY SYSTEM.)

The Q6600's stock speed is 2.4Ghz and I have it running at 3.2 on air. It could easily do more but the motherboard is limiting it. This does make a noticable difference but this is not something you should ever ever ever ever ever ever ever do without a) being absolutely sure what you're doing, b) being prepared to face the consequences if you screw up and c) a free weekend. ;)

As you're doing video editting you'll probably find the additional memory capacity a helpful thing, but where it REALLY comes into its own is if you run 3D studio type software. Rendering the LlamaLAN 12 video took up 3.5 Gb of RAM towards the end of its processing. ;) You need any 64 bit OS and that doesn't have to be Win 7. I heard bad things about XP 64 but Yaz knows his stuff and if he says it's good than I'd believe him!
Haste
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Haste »

Golem wrote:
Kanonfodda wrote:First up, I agree with CD, DO NOT ASK GOLEM FOR OVERCLOCKING ADVICE ;)

As you're doing video editting you'll probably find the additional memory capacity a helpful thing, but where it REALLY comes into its own is if you run 3D studio type software. Rendering the LlamaLAN 12 video took up 3.5 Gb of RAM towards the end of its processing. ;) You need any 64 bit OS and that doesn't have to be Win 7. I heard bad things about XP 64 but Yaz knows his stuff and if he says it's good than I'd believe him!
Well if opertating where only that simple, you buy it and iot OPERATES YOUR SYSTEM, however my friend the world does not work like that, and the man has to fuck with you, so if you have one chip or hardise or cable or fan or shitty bug worng it will fuck the whole thing, so im goiing to leave my systen as it is, upgrade to 64 some time soon, but no overcloacking, upgrading the versian should improve preformance for a hwile and good enough for a year, and which point ill be out of college into uni, i hope. And by then, ill have more knowledge of comps and how to overcloack.

Yeh i do alot of video editting at times, im doing alot at college at the moment, and i use 3d studio max all the time, rendering a truely photo realistic image can take a few hours sometimes, and when i have to pan or even create something over 100 frames, i want the overloack, however from waht your saying, it wont help that much if i overcloak. And im trusting you guys, so if 64 turns out shit.......then ill write a really angry post :)

~Haste
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

I've been on 64bit Vista and now 64bit 7 for over two years, and Ive never looked back ... never had a problem in any way associated with my 64bitness.
Haste
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Haste »

So its my b-day today and i got those headphones you sugessted, and they are AWESOMESOURCE.

That feel beutifull and i wish i could were them all the time, but im having a few problems with sound, becuase of my video editing i like to save small parts of other videos in avi, so that i can reuse without any lossless, however playing these avi in vlc player or windows it lagged, so i wondered why, spent a few hours on the internet found it COULD be my codec on my computer, so i went and uninstalled and installed K-lite, now it doesnt play avi atall, just a black screen.

Any help guys ? haha, I used to use something like Community pack codec or something

Thanks for you help all. :) Much <3
YaZoR
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by YaZoR »

Which 'phones you get? The medusa's?

Also might want to open a new thread regarding your codec issue. Helps others when they're searching for answers. :)
meh
Haste
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Haste »

No the Raccat Ones :) ok, ill make a new thread now :)
Haste
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Haste »

i have 80 quid to spend from my birthday, and maybe some other money to spend, what is the best to upgrade from this spec......

Manufacturer:
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory:
3326MB RAM
Hard Drive:
250 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output
Speakers/Headphones:
Turtlebeach
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
random mouse mat
Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
Motherboard:
Gigabyte
Computer Case:
Thermaltake

i would link the dxdiag file but.....
YaZoR
Herdshire
Herdshire

Post by YaZoR »

GFX card is prob your bottleneck there.
Though you could do with another drive I guess.

But definately a faster GFX card (260GTX or higher) will give you the most noticable gaming performance increase for your money.
But with £80 you're going to fall short of that mark, so I would save the money until you can afford a new GFX card.
meh
Haste
Weanling
Weanling

Post by Haste »

awesomescource, thanks.
CyberDrac
Red Squad
Red Squad

Post by CyberDrac »

the 275GTX seems to be accepted as the most bang for the buck in the nVidia range at the moment, but that would be outside of your £80 budget, but I agree that the remainder of the machine is quite capable and that the video card would reap the largest if limited benefits.
Golem
Some Git
Some Git

Post by Golem »

You're all talking utter rubbish. Everyone knows that a new mousemat would make the biggest difference in performance. 0X

Go to reputable sources only though. Some dodgy vendors supply mousemats that will infect your PC with a virus.
SneakyRusski
Weanling
Weanling

Post by SneakyRusski »

You have to go to paris to get ultimate mouse mats.

Ignore the warcraft, ++++ starcraft profit.

Zodiack
Yellow Squad
Yellow Squad

Post by Zodiack »

Is it weird, that while I don't play Blizzard games, or at least haven't since I was teeny weeny, I still friggen love their logo? XD
SneakyRusski
Weanling
Weanling

Post by SneakyRusski »

Totally not wierd, I've thought about getting a blizzard shirt just because of it D: